Zoning Permit Fee Schedule (Effective October 1, 2007)

Basic Permit Fee

Single-Family Residence
(Residence may be Seasonal Cabin, Mobile Home or Duplex)
Sewer Connection Fee $250.00
Water Connection Fee $250.00
Fences $25.00
Garage $100.00
Mobile Home in Mobile Home Park $100.00
Multiple-family Residence
*Plus $50.00 per unit
Home Occupation $50.00
Home Business $50.00
On-Site Sanitation Only $100.00
Accessory Structures and Signs $75.00
Residential Addition $100.00
Residential Alteration $100.00
Commercial (New) $500.00
Commercial (Alteration/Addition) $150.00
Industrial (New) $600.00
Industrial (Alteration/Addition) $250.00
Land Alteration Only $75.00
Retaining Walls $50.00
Use with Performance Standards
(Fee is in addition to the basic permit fee)

Special Actions – Plus City Attorney Fees

Variance $250.00
Conditional Use $250.00
Rezoning $250.00
Planned Unit Development
*Plus $50.00 per unit upon time of construction
Mobile Home Park
*Plus $25.00 per site
Subdivision Plat
*Plus $25.00 per lot

* City Attorney attendance required at all Special Meetings

Environmental Assessment worksheets – TBD
Fee negotiable with developer to cover City costs.

Penalties – in addition to the permit fee(s)
Penalty for after the fact or late filing of permit fee the fine is equal to original permit fee and the City may seek complete restoration of site at owner’s expense.

Copy of Zoning Ordinance $25.00
Copy of Comprehensive Plan $25.00

Wetlands – Plus City Attorney Fees
Wetland determination: No Fee
Wetlands Replacement Plan Review:
Plus $50.00 for each acre or fraction thereof over 2.0 acres. (Fee is in addition to any other required permit fee(s) $200.00

Burning permits information

When do I need an open burning permit?
When the ground is not snow covered. By definition, in Minnesota Statute 88.16 subd. 2: “Snow-covered” means that the ground has a continuous unbroken cover of snow, to a depth of three inches or more, surrounding the immediate area of the fire, sufficient to keep the fire from spreading.

When is a permit not needed?
For a “campfire”… “Campfire” means a fire set for cooking, warming, or ceremonial purposes, which is not more than three feet in diameter by three feet high, and has had the ground five feet from the base of the fire cleared of all combustible material.

When the ground is “snow-covered”… “Snow-covered” means that the ground has a continuous unbroken cover of snow, to a depth of three inches or more, surrounding the immediate area of the fire, sufficient to keep the fire from spreading.

For a fire contained in a charcoal grill, camp stove, or other device designed for the purpose of cooking, or heating.

What can I burn with a permit or in an approved burner?
Vegetative material, such as: grass, leaves, brush and untreated lumber.

What materials cannot be burned?

  • Hazardous wastes
  • Industrial solid waste
  • Demolition debris of commercial or institutional structures. (A farm building is not a commercial structure.) Burning of any structure should be referred to a forest officer.
  • Salvage operations
  • Motor vehicles
  • Oils
  • Rubber
  • Plastics
  • Chemically-treated materials
  • Other materials which produce excessive, or noxious smoke, such as, but not limited to: tires, railroad ties, chemically-treated lumber, composite board, sheet rock, wiring, paint, or paint filters.
  • Garbage, defined as discarded material resulting from the handling, processing, storage, preparation, serving, or consumption of food.

Where do I get a permit?

  • Trout Lake Fire Department 218.245.1830. The toll free number to activate the permit is 1-866-533-2876.
  • Any DNR Forestry Office
  • Any Fire Warden – A Fire Warden is a volunteer commissioned by a DNR Forest Officer to issue open burning permits for a specific geographic area. This could be a county official, a county sheriff, local Fire Marshal or even your neighbor.
  • Burning Permit Online service.
  • There is a $5 charge per calendar year for this service.

What are burning permit restrictions?

  • Beginning in 1999 the DNR instituted burning permit restrictions in the fire prone portions of the state each spring. During this period of traditionally high fire danger, burning permits are not issued. A variance to permit open burning, however, may be obtained for special circumstances such as:
    • prescribed fire projects
    • approved agricultural practices
    • construction projects, if an economic hardship exists

What is a burning ban?

  • Under extremely dry conditions, the Commissioner of Natural Resources, or another unit of government, may declare a “burning ban” for a specified area within the state. When this occurs, not only existing permits are canceled and new permits not issued, but burning in approved burners, recreational fires, and even smoking outdoors may be prohibited, depending on the fire danger. This action is generally taken when fire conditions become extreme across a broad area of the state (for example, a number of counties or large geographic region).
  • Much more frequently the DNR uses restrictions or the non-issuance, or revocation of burning permits to control open burning when local fire danger is high. A burning ban is used only in the most severe conditions and is more restrictive.

How do I report a wildfire?
Report any suspected unauthorized fires by dialing 911. (If 911 is not available in your area, your local DNR Forestry Office will provide you with the numbers to call.) The best policy is, “If in doubt, report it.” An early report of a fire enables a quicker response time and helps to keep fires small.